Fillmore County Courthouse

Geneva, NE

about

Fillmore County Courthouse

We are proud to say this project was awarded the 2002 Preservation Honors Award by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

Architect:
George E. McDonald

Location

Geneva, NE

Build Date

1894

Architectural Style

Dichardsonian Romanesque

Additional Info

The decision to restore the Fillmore County Courthouse was a result of a Master Plan completed by Berggren Architects, which was an analysis of the needs of Fillmore County. Years of insensitive alterations had taken their toll. Original windows were closed with bricks or glass blocks. Original entrances were “modernized” with aluminum storefronts. Algae and lichen covered limestone and mortar and shingles deteriorated at the hands of Mother Nature. There were many security deficiencies because the Jail had been located within the structure of the Courthouse and needed renovation to bring it up to standards.

The exterior limestone and mortar has been cleaned and repaired. Craftsmad fashioned replica metal work for the dormer gables. New windows replicating the original 1892 design replaced the insensitive glass block and aluminum store front. On the interior, plaster walls and metal ceilings were restored to original appearance, a new service counter was designed to comply with ADA Standards, and period lighting was installed.

The proposed floor plan created for the promotion of the Bond Issue illustrates a well defined and manageable “Secure Perimeter”, a clear separation of the public and those incarcerated, a “Sally Port” for controlled access by law enforcement responsible for moving detainees in and out of the Jail and a “Dispatch/Jail Control Center” that has direct visual observation of inmates. This 9 bed facilities is a model frequently cited by the Jail Standards Division for unusually small Jails.

We are proud to say this project was awarded the 2002 Preservation Honors Award by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

Fillmore County Courthouse